Saturday, February 9, 2013
I attached the plywood today. As you can see there is a two-inch overhang which will be trimmed and sanded flush later. I used 1/4 inch plywood that is intended for exterior applications. It's the same stuff I used for the hatch in the previous post. It is glued with heavy duty liquid nails and then screwed in place with washers The screws and washers. will be removed after the glue has set.
I made two large sheets of plywood just the sizes I needed by gluing two plywood sheets together to form each of the sheets. In the left picture above you can see the two large sheets on my garage floor after I glued them together with a 3 inch wide strip of 1/8 inch masonite. These seams were glued with gorilla glue the same way as the headliner seams that are shown in a previous post. The masonite is glued on the inside so that it doesn't show, but you need to make sure it lands between the spars to you don't get a bump. It make a nice stiff joint so that when the plywood is fastened over the curve of the trailer the joint forms a continuous curve. Note the masonite does not extend to the edge of the plywood because it needs to fit within the walls so that it does not produce a bump when the plywood is attached to the walls. It worked out very nice. After the fiberglass and paint are on I don't think the seam will be visible at all.
In the right picture above it's a little hard to see what's going on. I have fastened one of the sheets to a spar of the trailer at two points and I have braced the sheet up so that I can check the fit before I glue and screw everything in place.
This week I ordered the fiberglassing materials from Raka. After the shipment arrives I will take a week off and get as much of the fiberglassing done as I can. So far I'm on schedule to finish the Woodsman in time to maiden it on memorial day.